What is Chiropractic care? To fully explain the science, philosophy and art of chiropractic care can take hours of engaging conversation and fill many books. Here is our attempt to quickly describe the essence behind the chiropractic philosophy.
“Chiropractic care is not pain relief. It is the optimization of your body’s ability to communicate and manage itself.”
First the science lesson
Let’s establish a few points that will make the benefit of chiropractic care seem clearer.
- Your brain is the computer in your body, sending messages to it’s muscles and organs and controlling everything.
- Your Central Nervous System (CNS) is the communication network, relaying these messages to and from the organs in the body and your brain.
- Your CNS is extremely delicate and is protected in large part by our spine.
- If the spine is not moving freely, it is in a state of subluxation.
- The state of subluxation means that two or more vertebrae are out of line, and can cause interference in the nervous system, not allowing the communication to flow freely from the organs to the brain.
- This subluxation can cause degeneration of the spine and over time causes symptoms in the body.
- The symptoms can be varied, depending on where in the spine the subluxation has ocurred. They can take the form of seemingly minor ailments such as headaches, fevers, and trouble sleeping, to major symptoms like pins and needles, sciatica, numbness, and chronic pain.
Where Chiropractic Care fits in
The chiropractic philosophy points out that our body has an innate intelligence that tells itself how to heal. For example, when you cut your finger, your body knows how to heal the cut by itself. When you get a cold, the body defends itself against the virus. Your body can do this all by itself.
Chiropractic care removes nerve interference and allows the body to function at it’s best, including healing itself. Chiropractic care is NOT pain relief. It is the optimization of your body’s ability to communicate and manage itself.
Who is Chiropractic Care for?
Anyone who wants to be healthier probably already knows they should eat well, exercise routinely, and get enough sleep. Chiropractic care is part of that same healthy lifestyle that allows your body to get the maximum benefit from your healthy choices.